Sunday, October 7, 2007

USA1 - Glad to be Here

Another day and another great team to play some bridge against. First up I selected Bruce/Jedi and Murray/Andrew. They lined up Katz/Jacobs and Garner/Weinstein. While the scoresheet will not reflect some opportunities which we had during the match we held our own with a 13-13 result.

Try your methods on this hand
http://www.swangames.com/rama/boardreview.php?eventid=283054&roundno=1&segno=1&boardno=2
2C by East 2H by South - Both tables doubled sitting West - not a bid that I favour. Show some respect when the opponents in the 1/4finals of a world championship bid vulnerable vs not vulnerable over a game force hand. Then again - would you pass with the East Hand? Anyway both tables 2Hx -1 for a push with 6C cold.

The team was upbeat and glad to have played one set without too much happening. For the next set we had choice and I lined up Jedi with Rosenberg and Bruce with Zia and at the other table Warren/Pauline against Garner/Weinstein. My thinking was that Bruce would be better suited to resist the charms of Zia. Anyway whatever I did it didn't work. We lost 60 IMPS. While this might have depressed lesser mortals the team and I concluded that we were starting a nice long 64 board match with a carry forward.

So here I am sitting in the Press Room - yes I am a member in fact paid up till 2014 of the International Bridge Press Association - watching boards 33-48. Things are looking dodgy with the USA adding another 17 IMPS to their 76 IMP lead. But battle on we will. As I see South Africa 68 IMPS in front of Italy I can but believe all is possible.

BTW anybody wanting to back South Africa form a queue in front of my stand. I still have Italy a favourites to win this match - sorry to my SAF friends.

Thanks so so so much for all the kind wishes I have received from everybody. It has been quite uplifting to see so many people following our progress and even some American friends are rooting for us to win - that one I don't understand........

Nothing else I can think to tell you so I will update tomorrow morning as we face a new day.

Best
David

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

David,it has been a wonderful performance by the team and quite thrilling to watch. My congrats to all involved - now all we have to do is pick up 90 odd imps against the USA! If France could win that game against the All Blacks anything is possible.

Jon and Sheils said...

Well it was good to see you get the better of USA in a few of the segments. Hope you are all having a really good celebration of your achievements. Well done.